Volunteer job description
Who can volunteer?
- If you are 18 years old or older
- If you live within 30 minutes of the Northeast Georgia Medical Center in Gainesville, GA
- Are compassionate
- No training or previous education is needed
What does a volunteer do?
- Use a Rape Response cell phone to answer crisis line calls from the privacy of your home or other suitable private location while maintaining your own schedule
- Respond to hospital calls; report to Northeast Georgia Medical Center within 30 minutes of receiving the phone call. Accompany sexual assault survivors during the forensic medical exam process by providing emotional support. The forensic exam typically takes about 3 hours but can be shorter or longer.
What kind of time commitment is involved?
- Be available to receive calls and go to the hospital if needed 2 week nights (6 pm to 7 am each night) (Monday & Tuesday OR Wednesday & Thursday) or one weekend (from Friday 6 pm to Monday 7 am)
- Once a month
- 20 hours of initial volunteer training as well as 10 hours of annual continuing education. Continuing education requirements can be met by attending quarterly meetings where we have fun, eat dinner together and provide additional training. These meetings are generally 2.5 hours long.
When is the next volunteer training?
Training series are held in spring and fall of each year. The sessions take place on two Saturdays and one Thursday evening. Attendance of all 3 training sessions is required.
Fall 2017 training dates are:
- Saturday, October 7 from 8 am - 4:30 pm
- Thursday, October 12 from 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- Saturday, October 21 from 8 am - 4:30 pm
How do I become a volunteer?
- Fill out the volunteer application on the Rape Response, Inc. website
- A personal interview will be scheduled with prospective volunteers
- Volunteers must complete our 20 hour volunteer training course
- A background check is required and paid for by Rape Response, Inc. prior to volunteering
- Call 770-503-7273 if you have questions or concerns
Volunteers will be asked to sign a volunteer contract and confidentiality agreement form.